Wednesday 2 November 2011

You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it.

(The website I got the title quote from listed it as "anonymous" but I chose it because it reminded me of the quote at the top of my blog, by Jules Renard.)

This is a photo I took, obviously while in a plane, very early in the morning a few summers ago. Planes are one of my favorite things of all, and I absolutely love the way this picture portrays them.


I was in a photography workshop all day today. I'm not great at photography, but I enjoy it. The photographer we were working with was comparing photography to painting, which is nice, but I like to think it as a moment of time captured forever. I know that's not the most original train of thought, but it makes me happy. I love the idea that with a photograph we can capture forever how one person saw the world at one spot in time and space. The photographer, who was this guy, Paul Vienneau, in case you'd like to check out his work, also told us about a quote from some guy he didn't mention the name of, about how "The camera sees from both ends." I really like that, because I agree. I see photography as a way of showing the world what inspires you, what makes you think, what interests you, what fills you with emotion, be it happiness or sadness, or anywhere in between, at one particular moment in time.

I've never done this before, but I decided to show some of my own photos today. The plane above is one I took. I love how peaceful it is. I absolutely adore flying, I love it. I love the feeling that you're high above the world, in perfect solitude with all this silence around you. I'd imagine flying a plane with no one else in it would be a fantastic experience. At the same time, we as human beings aren't supposed to be in the sky so it gives an element of risk that I absolutely love.

Here's some more:






Anyways, my inspiration for today is Paul Vienneau and photography. I hope this inspires you to check out some of Paul's work and to go out and by a camera and start shooting, or to go out and find some other way to capture a second and share it with the world.

And here's a final song, for your inspiration. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment