Tuesday 6 December 2011

A Rose By Any Other Name

I think baby-name obsessing is a disease. A disease that somewhat surprisingly, many, many people seem to have. I am one. As long as I can remember, I've been obsessed with baby names. I think that at some point I want children. Not any time soon for sure, but eventually. Just a few. Either way, keeping an obsessive list of my favorite names is one of my favorite past times. I have folders on my computer, and every month I make a new list (starting three years ago) of girls names, boys names and twin combinations. I feel like sharing them with you. I'll start with girls. There's a lot of them. Some of them are normal, some are not. I love them all for different reasons. I'm not sure I'd have the guts to use a lot of them. My parents would think I was nuts if they knew I liked a lot of them. Here goes... (I'll comment on some of them.)


Adele
Adeline
Alice
Amabel - I'm not sure I'd use this because I feel like it would constantly be confused for Annabel(le)
Amalia - Similar to Amabel, they would probably get a lot of Amelia's
Amelia - Losing interest in this.
Amélie - Love this, difficult to pull off without a French accent. In English, it just sounds like Emily. And that's boring.
Anna - Losing interest.
Annabel - Much better than Annabelle in my opinion.
Aoife - pronounced Eefa. Probably wouldn't use, but I love it.
Arabella
Audrey
Avalon - Probably wouldn't use
Aveline - Love, love.
Caoimhe - Pronounced Keeva, see Aoife.
Cecilia - Nicknamed Cece or Celia.
Charlotte “Lottie" - Getting far to popular, sadly.
Clementine - Wouldn't use because most people would say it like the orange, instead of Clement-een.
Cosette - Les Mis gives this a negative connotation, but it's beautiful.
Cosima- Love, love.

Edith - Adore.
Eliza - Not sure if I love it or not.
Elizabeth “Libby” - Libby's the best nickname for this in my opinion.
Elodie - Not sure
Emmeline - :)
Estelle - New on the list, lovin' it.
Esther - Same as Estelle, but love it more.
Eugenia - After seeing "The Help", I adore this.
Eva - Beautiful, although I prefer Eve.
Evangeline “Evie" - Might be too religious sounding.
Eve – One of the fave's
Evelyn - See Charlotte
Fiona - Like it.
Gillian - 100 x better than Jillian.
Ginevra - Too Harry Pottery, but adorable.
Georgia (Gigi) – Love, love, love.
Harriet
 - Love, love, love.
Hazel - Love, love, love.
Hermione - See Ginevra.
Hope - Losing interest.
Imogen - Love, love, love.
Ingrid - Diggin' it.
Iris - Love flower names.
Isla - Okay.
Ivy - Love the v and y next to each other.
Jane - Way underused.
Josephine « Josie, Fifi » - Love
June - Probably my favorite name.
Léonie - See Amélie.
Lucy - Overused.
Lydia - Love.
Lyra - Celestial, I love it. 
Lyric - Probably wouldn't use, but I love it.
Maëlle - See Amélie.
Maeve - Adorable.
Nora – Don't know if this or Norah is better. Both are fantastic.
Nova - Doubt I'd use, but love.
Paloma – Love
Persephone - See Nova
Penelope - See Nova
Phaedra - See Nova
Philippa "Pippa/Flip" - Love, love, love.
Poppy - Love, unsure if I'd use.
Primrose “Rosie, Posie” - Too Hunger Gamesy
Rosamond “Rosie” - LOVE
Rose – One of the fave's
Rosemary « Romy » - Mostly like this for Romy, but I have a thing against nicknames without a full name behind it.
Rowena - See Ginevra
Ruth – One of the fave's. And I actually know a 3 year old Ruth!!
Saoirse - Seersha. See Aoife. This is my favorite Irish name.
Sorcha - Sorsha. See Aoife.
Susannah  “ Annie, Sunny” - Lovin' it.
Thisbe - Adoooooooooorable.
Véronique - See Amélie.
Victoire - Better than Victoria. Too French though.
Violet – Someone once told me it sounds like Violent :S
Xanthe - Love, love. Reminds me of Yellow.

Boys!

Asher - Fave at the moment.
Elliot - Overused.
Everett - 2nd fave at the moment.
Ezra - Love
Felix – Too cat like?
Harry - Love, love.
Henry - Love, love. 
James - Losing interest.
Joseph – Underused.
Jude - Love
Levi - Love
Oliver – Too cat?
Rhys - SO MUCH BETTER than Reece
Rupert - Adorable, very British. Just like the fantastic little bear.
Sebastian - Used to be my favorite.
Simon - Like
Spencer – LOVE
Walter - Love

Twins!

Twins

B/B
Abraham & Theodore “Abe/Bram & Teddy” - Like
Everett & Simon
Everett & Spencer - favorite boys' pair I think.
Asher & Felix
Asher & Henry

G/G
Nora & Lucy
Audrey & Clara
Stella & Lucy
Fiona Jessamine & Scarlett Lucasta - Like this.
Alice & Charlotte
Emmeline Violet & Susannah Poppy «  Emme & Annie »
Josephine Violet & Susannah Poppy «  Josie & Annie »
Annabel & Lucy
Annabel & Jessamine nn Annie & Jess
Susannah & Philippa « Annie & Pippa »
Lydia & Eliza
Lyra & Stella
Cecilia & Evangeline « Celia & Evie »
Gwendolyn & Francesca
Lydia & Francesca
Nora & Ivy
Norah & Iris
Susannah & Clementine
Lydia & Francesca
Nora & Rose
Eve & Ivy
Philippa & Rosamund «Pippa & Rosie » - Favorite girls' Pair 
Emmeline & Philippa « Emme & Pippa »
Lyra & Selene - Don't love Selene but think it's great with Lyra.
Rosalind & Arabella “Bella & Rosie”
Gwyneth & Felicity
Avalon & Nova
Esther & Imogen
Harriet & Imogen

**Purple means I love it.

B/G
Gavin Rhys & Norah Jane
Henry & Charlotte
Henry & Eliza
Abraham & Josephine “Josie and Bram”
Lydia & Oliver
Eliza & Oliver
Henry & Lydia
Everett & Josephine “Rhett & Josie”
June & Ezra
Everett & Philippa “Rhett & Pippa”

So there ya have it folks!!


And to put you in the holiday mood,

Here's a final song, for your inspiration. ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment