Monday 26 September 2011

Tuna-fish and a wish?

I was reading an article in the paper earlier, about this gigantic tuna that someone caught. It made me wonder... Why do people say 'tuna fish'? You know, you hear people say "Hey, can I have a tuna-fish sandwich?" or "Yo, man that's one big ol' tuna-fish ya caught there, sonny!" but you'd never hear anyone say, for instance, haddock-fish. If you were a waiter in a restaurant and someone said to you, "Can I please have the pan-fried haddock-fish with garlic mashed potatoes?", you'd look at them like they were the tuna(-fish) pictured below. Why the double standard?

So, there you have it. The tuna-fish part of this entry. There is no wish. You're probably reading this just because you thought there'd be a wish. Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you. I just said "Tuna-fish and a wish?" because it rhymed. Really, that is all. Lame, I know. I'm deeply apologetic.

Anywho... (wow, who says that anymore... that got lame as soon as the first person said it!)

Since this blog is about my inspiration, I should, ya know... talk about it.

I started taking a class recently that explores the way we think, how we know what we know. It's called Theory of Knowledge, abbreviated as TOK. You should remember that if you're reading this, because TOK is pretty inspirational. The other day we started talking about the whole emoticon thing, and "words" like LOL, LMAO, TTFN, TGIF, BRB, FTW, and the like. Acronyms I suppose. We were contemplating on whether or not it's possible that this could become it's own language. Which sprouted the idea of words. Who decides what's a word? We watched this:

http://blog.ted.com/2007/08/30/redefining_the/

It's great. If you've never watched TED talks, you should start. They can be VERY inspirational. The woman in this video, Erin McKean is a lexicographer. If you don't know what that is, you should watch the video. Well, you should even if you do. She brings up lots of really cool points, plus, she's really cool... in a quirky, nerdy kinda way (my personal favorite kind). So, SHE, is what is inspiring me today.

And here's a final song, for your inspiration. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment